Thursday, April 10, 2008

I think my nose hairs are singed

Okay, so there is this guy in my clinical group who smells. I don't mean he occasionally has a bad day and stepped in dog poo or anything. I mean this guy smells like stale cigarettes mixed with days-old B.O. He is nauseating. He walks by, and the smell wafts towards me, and I am tempted to run to the nearest trash can and puke. He also likes to put his arms over his head and stretch while making semi-erotic grunting noises while stretching. It's super gross.

How is he even allowed in clinical? We are in pediatrics right now, and we got the whole talk about "no perfumes, no strong scented shampoo, no extra flowery deodorant." So HOW IN THE EF is he allowed to walk around smelling like week old armpit? It's disgusting!

On a side note, this is the same guy who inspired this blog, and you should read all about his exploits here. But I digress.

With this in mind, do any of you have a tactful way that I can mention to a professor or staff nurse or SOMEONE that he is in serious need of hygiene? This is disgusting, and I can't believe nursing school puts up with this crap. If he can't even bathe himself, can he be trusted to be a decent nurse?

5 comments:

mofo said...

Pull your clinical instructor aside into an empty room (do they have those anymore?) and email your professor. (even anonymously if you want to) That is unacceptable. If I showed up to clinical with fake nails I'd be in trouble, someone who shows up smelling like ass should be in trouble too.

keepbreathing said...

I'm a little passive-aggressive and I recently had to deal with this. A fellow RT who works the night shift at my hospital was increasingly stanky: she smelled of a heavy smoking habit and cheap perfume, almost like a fire at a disreputable massage parlor.

Anyway, tactful hints failed to work, so I printed out our Policy & Procedure on personal hygiene, hi-lighted the part about NO STRONG PERFUMES OR OFFENSIVE ODORS, and then left it in her mailbox.

Maybe not the best strategy, but we'll see how it works.

GuitarGirlRN said...

Oh, man, I feel for you.

I used to share an office with a guy who stank of stale bo and unwashed clothes.

I had to talk to my boss about it. I told him I wasn't sure what the protocol was about this, and I didn't know what to do. He said he'd have to think about it. Fortunately he got a job at another company, so I just put up with it for two more weeks and then he was gone.

He also ate stinky food loudly at his desk. I almost killed him.

shrtstormtrooper said...

Thanks, I'll let you all know how it goes! Hopefully clinicals will be BO-free from here on out...

Stacie with an IE said...

LP you make me laugh with your stories. hope clinical is better!