Thursday, May 14, 2009

What happens when all you belive in is tossed asunder?

A well known fact of life is that Star Wars and Star Trek don't mix. The most common reason for this is that clearly, Star Wars is superior and we just don't bother even acknowledging Trek.



You see, I was introduced to Star Wars at a ripe young age and it changed my life. Instead of making friends, I alienated them (heh) with endless quotes. Instead of shopping at the Limited Too with the rest of the cool 6th graders, I had my mom order SW shirts from the official store. Instead of learning proper social interaction skills, I bonded with other students in the Water Quality Monitoring club and Ecology Corps then spent copious amounts of time discussing why Star Wars is awesome. We bonded because we just knew that SW was better than ST.

And then George Lucas created the hackery that was the new trilogy. My faith was shaken. It was tough to face the public and verbally acknowledge that yes, I am a fan of this tripe. While the ewoks were a tough sell, the new crap was painful to defend.

Finally, the trekkers had leverage against us. It hurt my heart to know that deep down they actually had a bit of legit to the claim that Trek was better. Frankly, my dear, I resented it.

And then tonight, I Saw Star Trek. And it wasn't just good. It wasn't even just great. It might be one of the best movies I've ever seen. This isn't even a joke! It was so excellent!

And herein lies the blasphemy: I, Shrtstormtrooper, hereby recognize Star Trek as an excellent movie and therefore rescind all previous insults directed at the series.

I won't go so far as to say Trek is superior, but I will recognize it as an almost-equal. I'm even going to watch all the original series, and maybe even the movies. Unless force lightning strikes me down first...






Sigh. It's a tough life.

4 comments:

Joy said...

You have to love Zachary Quinto!!! I'm a Heroes fan. Haven't seen Star Trek yet but my husband swears up and down it's the BEST sci-fi movie he's ever seen!

Jen said...

You're really outdone yourself here, Fabo...

Em said...

Just wanted to stop here and say that, yes - while I do not share your level of loyalty all things Star Wars - I do agree that episodes 3, 4 & 5 kicked the shit out of 1, 2 & 3 and as for Star Trek? Eck! You can't make me watch that! - and also wanted to give a BIG thanks to you & Hood Nurse for robbing me of my sleep 2 nights in a row now. You both are clearly & purposely taking advantage of my insomnia and you are both laughing it up (don't lie. I can hear you!)cuz you know I have to be up at 6:30am!

Em said...

...and, of course by "3, 4 & 5" I clearly mean "4, 5 & 6". :)