Saturday, December 13, 2008

Activities that might kill me

I've decided, at the prodding of The Fabo, that I will be running a half marathon in March. You have my permission to laugh.

The last time I was actually in shape might just be high school. I played field hockey and lacrosse, and we ran a lot. Funny thing is, I was never good at the running part. Maybe that's why I decided to play goalie; there isn't a lot of running required when you just stand in a small area and hit people with your pads.

I went to college and played Ultimate (a staple of white people games) once or twice a week, and stayed somewhat fit. Then I got lazy. And fat. And unmotivated. And then I decided to go to nursing school. Even if I had the motivation to work out, I found that I'd rather sacrifice physical fitness for an extra hour of sleep in the morning.

But now I'm just about done with school, and I realize that this flab isn't going to run itself off. I need to not be lazy anymore. Thus a half-marathon is in the works! I'm not sure about the whole 13.1 miles deal...that seems like a lot. I think the most I've ever run at one time is 3.something miles. This might just kill me. Wouldn't it be ironic if I drop dead of a heart attack when I'm trying to be fit, Jim Fixx style?



Anyway, I think I'm going to do this. Feel free to check up on my progress and encourage or snark at my lack of fitness.

***
And this might seriously be the coolest grandpa ever.



I'd lose that staring contest, for sure.

No comments: