Sunday, March 27, 2011

Oh hello, brick wall.

0200
"My daughter was here yesterday for bronchitis/pneumonia/ear infection/ebola and you gave her antibiotics. I gave her another dose today but they aren't working because now she has a fever. At least she feels hot. I don't know what it is."

Did you give her motrin or tylenol?

"Was I supposed to?"

Well, yes, those are medications to keep her fever down, and since she has a fever...yes. You are supposed to give them. I went through all that yesterday when I gave you discharge papers.

"Well how will you know how high her fever is if I give them at home? And why isn't that antibiotic working yet? It's been over 12 hours! And can I have a work note?"

Face, palm, repeat.

1 comment:

Albinoblackbear said...

Yes, love the people that come back after 1 dose of ABX and say it is not working.

I usually have to bite my tongue to not respond with, "that's because it is a virus and the ABX won't resolve it anyway!"

C'mon people, this is is not 1950 when we thought penicillin was a wonderdrug that killed all and would elevate us from the depths of disease!