Monday, January 28, 2013

Every day, a losing battle

"Thermometer goes under your tongue for a moment with your lips closed around it" means keep the thermometer under your tongue for a moment with your lips closed. Not between your teeth, or with your mouth gaping open as if Hugh Jackman just walked by naked, or trying to make it touch every single taste bud in under 15 seconds, or under your tongue then beside it then above it, or attempting to put it under your tongue with your tongue outside your mouth, or making out with it like this is your first game of 7 minutes in heaven, or staring at me like you have no idea what your tongue is.

FFS, people.

3 comments:

GuitarGirlRN said...

We have the temporal thermometers now. I really don't think they're as accurate (our hospital has done two studies with them that show exactly opposite results) but man is it easier in triage.

Kaley said...

I never know if I'm supposed to hold it or if the nurse is supposed to continue to hold it in your mouth. Not that I'm forever in the ER...

code word (titngt) do you take that as dirty? I do.

NNR said...

This baffles me too. Have you not ever had your damn temperature taken? Grown-ass people just sit there slack jawed and have be told "close your mouth." WTH?