Friday, February 7, 2020

Slow

While I love the chaotic intensity of the ER, I absolutely cherish the slow days. The ones where I get to hear the life story of a nonagenarian, ask their secrets to a long and happy marriage, and compare notes on interesting places to visit. The days where I get to spend an hour picking blood clots out of their hair without hurting their tender scalps. The days where the family and I hug each other when
I drop the patient off in their inpatient room. The days when the patient can't eat the turkey sandwich from the ER fridge, but tries to slip me a five dollar bill after I offer up the yogurt from my lunchbox. The days when I get to be cheerfully snarky to the sharp witted ones because they eat it up and love trading jokes. The days when, instead of struggling with unsafe work loads, I get to be a real nurse and actually take care of a patient instead of just their conditions.

I love those days.

1 comment:

EDNurseasauras said...

These are the the little gifts that keep us coming back day after abusive day