Thursday, July 2, 2020

COVID-19 (7/2/20)

Hey guys! I'm still here. Still kicking, and still stressed, but in a much better head space than I was a few weeks ago.

COVID is getting horrible here in Texas. Wear a mask, you guys. For fucks sake, wear a mask.

I had another training shift as charge yesterday, and boy was it a doozy. I kept taking critical lab values, and they were all for COVID. All positive. I took two at a time, more than once. Everyone is sick. Our department is on the verge of getting overwhelmed, and I'm scared. I thought I was scared back in April and May, but this is next level. I don't think we'll get to NYC levels as our population density is much lower and supply chains are less fucked than they were two months ago, but....then again, with the way things are trending we might not be far off.

I took two weeks off, and went to visit my parents in Home State. This was before things got real bad again. I social distanced, safer at home (besides work, of course), zoom friend hangouts only before I visited them. I also got tested for COVID, and while I know it's not 100% my negative test made me feel a lot better before seeing them. I'm glad I did when I had the chance, because while I was on the East Coast all I kept reading about was how Texas has done a complete 180 and was taking a nosedive directly into the shitter.

My first shift back was unbelievably awful. So many sick people, so many non-sick people just out doing their thing, and an astounding number of people who wandered into the ER without a mask already on - and then got pissed at us for requiring it.

I think we're fucked. Really.

But at least my head space is better, like I said before. The time off, lounging in the sun, talks with friends, and then knowledge that I have counseling resources available any time has been a huge help. I never did get into seeing a counselor, but that is still on the agenda - since I knew I had those two weeks off I pushed it back a bit to see if the time away helped. Thankfully it did. But the stress and anxiety are still there, and I'm still working on it.

I'll be updating more often, but I hope you guys are staying well and staying safe. Also, WEAR YOUR FUCKING MASKS, PEOPLE!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I'm reading your blog from OFRN's blog - I'm in Australia. Things in the USA sound & look (on our national news) really bad and I feel for people like you working at the front line. We were doing brilliantly here and had the virus almost eradicated, (New Zealand did eliminate it for a while) now we're opening up in stages there's a few outbreaks but we were down to single-digit numbers of infections for a while there. These are tough times, take care of yourself (I'm a long retired RN) cheers, Sue

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

So sorry that you're in the thick of things and that people can't even be bothered to do the bare minimum (wear a fucking mask) to protect people. I hope you stay safe.

Oldfoolrn said...

I'm glad you had a break and feel better, but what a terrible situation to come back to. I really feel for you wonderful youngsters.

I wish my much beloved OR supervisor, Alice, could return to be the chief mask enforcement officer. She had her ways of dealing with scofflaws and careless folks when it came to maintaining asepsis.

If someone did not have their mask tied securely on (none of those convenient ear loop thingees) she would untie the stings and ensnare a lump of the offender's hair in the string and tie it in a double knot. Screams were common at the end of a case when it was time to peal off our masks.

She had another crude but effective way of dealing with folks with exposed nostrils. She aggressively ram rodded dental rolls up the offender's nose exclaiming "How do you like them apples?"

I was always very careful with my mask. Folks need to think more about the well being of others. It comes naturally to anyone who survives nursing school. I cannot understand this anti-mask business expressed by some.

Shash said...

A month later, I hope you are still hanging in there. Don't forget to take care of you, too.

Oldfoolrn said...

Thinking of you and hope that all is well and you are safe.

L said...

Thank you guys for checking in. It means a lot, and I really appreciate it!

I'm doing well, just laying low and taking it easy. All are safe and healthy here, and trying to keep it that way! I hope you all are doing well also.