Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Improvement

So remember that time I was orienting back up in the trauma area, and was feeling super bummed because I felt like I had forgotten a lot of old skills and was generally being a shitty nurse?

I finished my orientation, got a couple of solo shifts done, and I'm happy to report that it's coming back. There haven't been any really hectic dumpster fires yet, but so far so good. I signed up to take a critical care refresher course in a couple of weeks as well, so that's good too.

Thanks to you guys for the support and encouragement from a few posts back. It's a good feeling to know that I don't, as initially feared, fail as a nurse.

2 comments:

Oldfoolrn said...

I always had self-doubt even when everything was going well. It's what makes good nurses even better. Don't judge yourself based on patient outcomes - even if the patient doesn't respond as expected, you still did a good job (I learned that one the hard way from an old school surgeon.) If you need a break for some old-fashioned foolishness, I'm at oldfoolrn.blogspot.com.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time I was trying out a mountain bike that I wanted to buy.
As I was literally climbing on the bike in the parking lot, I thought to myself: "When was the last time I actually rode a bike? Hasn't it been almost, like, a decade since I got on one of these things...AND WHY THE HELL AM I DOING THIS IN FULL VIEW OF OTHER HUMANS NOW?!?!?!?"

Didn't crash and burn until later post-purchase (narrow bridges are NOT my friend) but hey, cheers to old skills coming back!