Friday, July 26, 2019

Fresh Feelings, 2.0

I thought I should update you guys on the guy from the last post, because it's not often that I have feelings and I want to get the full effect here.

The other night I found out the post-arrest guy was on one of the inpatient floors. Not the ICU, but med surg. Med surg! He had been downgraded through the hospital ranks, so when I realized I was admitting another patient to the same floor I offered to transport them myself so I could check in on him. I rounded the hallway corner and came face to face with the patient's wife - she immediately recognized me, and asked me to come in to say hi. When I dropped the other patient off, I walked into post-arrest guys room - and he was sitting up! In bed! Awake! Without oxygen! And talking!

I said "I don't expect you remember me, but I'm the one who started chest compressions on you." He immediately burst into tears and asked if he could give me a hug. Let me tell you, he was not the only one crying.

We had the most wonderful conversation, and as he kept repeating, "we're talking to each other! I'm here because of the work everyone did for me!"

You guys. Sometimes we really do make a difference. It's a fantastic feeling, for everyone involved. I love my job.

3 comments:

Oldfoolrn said...

Bottle that well deserved feeling of wonder and keep it handy for the next shitstrom! Congratulations on the miraculous save.

Shash said...

Fantastic that you were face to face again because a thank you card just ain't the same. So awesome.

Alexina White (RN) said...

I fully agree with you. There is no greater reward or joy than making a difference in someone’s life. It also brings a happier atmosphere and positive results.