Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Restless

It's a little bit nuts that I've now been at my current hospital for as long as my original Home Hospital. I started my nursing career in January 2009, and left that job to go traveling in July 2012. I remember getting the itch to travel somewhere around winter 2011.

A couple months ago, I was feeling burnt out, sick of work, and actively looking for a job in a different department. I've gotten past that low point now, but when reflecting back on those rough few weeks I realized that was the exact same amount of time it took me to become restless in my first job. I decided to go traveling, but now that I'm a married homeowner in Texas I don't have the same solution available.

I suppose I'll have to find another way to push through the restlessness. Perhaps getting cross trained in a different unit? Maybe picking up an extra committee or class? Maybe I'll take a leave of absence and do a legit travel assignment somewhere! Wouldn't that be interesting...

2 comments:

Oldfoolrn said...

Before I got married to Oldfoolette RN I led a rather mobile existence too, from Chicago to Iowa to Michigan and finally settling down in Pittsburgh. In my twilight years the advantages of having a long term place to call home are something to treasure. One thing about nursing, there is always something challenging to do no matter your geographic location. Good luck!

knittynurse said...

Cross training for another department helped me immensely when ER got to me a few years ago. Of course, I chose obstetrics so I had two high stress workplaces but it did help.