Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The good, bad, and...

Well, I knew it would only be a matter of time. It seems that no matter how hard I try, I just can't avoid some things. Some are good, some not so good, and some I'm not sure about. But let me elaborate!

First, the bad: I am suffering from last-week-of-class-itis. It's a strange malady that can strike college students anywhere, no matter their motivation or must-get-great-grades major. This past week, it has been creeping up on me. This weekend, it hit me square on. Case in point: I spend friday night setting mouse traps and eating chinese food. I spent saturday doing yard work and visiting a boy. More on that later. I spent Sunday watching football (but there are bigger things than a ball game - we'll miss you, Sean) and doing more nothing. I just can't shake it! I'll be honest, when it comes to the last week of the semester, I'd rather do anything than schoolwork. Give me football on tv, minesweeper, or a marathon of america's next top model and I'm down for the count.

Next, the good: I love to be top of the class. Maybe I'm self centered, or maybe I'm just motivated. You may think this directly contradicts my previous point. But alas, it does not. I'm good at test taking. I'm relatively smart. I retain information like a champ. Those put together mean I get good grades without trying; I get great grades when I study hard. This is a fantastic quality to have, because it totally enables my procrastination and still lets me do well. Which is why I can do all the things listed in point one. Remember, C's get degrees! Just kidding, I'd sob for a week if I got a C in a class.

Last, the not-so-sure: Boys. They always seem to float around just beyond the horizon of good judgment. I am genuinely focused on school, even though I joke about procrastination. I really don't have time for a boyfriend. That doesn't mean I don't want one. So get off my case! Mom, I'll settle down one day. But don't you want me to get a paying job first and lose my good judgement second?

No comments: