Thursday, March 6, 2008

ICU

I had my ICU rotation the other day, and I really didn't think I was going to like it. I'm not sure why, I just wasn't really excited. But after 8 hours, I'm in love! I don't want to work there forever, but I wouldn't be opposed to spending a year or two there at some point in time.

I just had the greatest time, because it had a little bit of everything. I got to see patients getting better, patients getting worse, minor ailments that only require a few days in the ICU, and patients who have been there for weeks. I saw a patient being transferred because he's doing great, and I saw someone code. I was thanked by a patient for doling out ice chips, and I got cussed at because I didn't turn the TV up loud enough.

It was great. I'm still hoping and praying that I get the ER externship this summer, but if I get the ICU instead, all won't be lost. And I'll actually enjoy being there.

Sometimes clinical is good for something!

No comments: