Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Conservation of Energy - it's the law!

Remember that time I said I wanted to try to run a half-marathon? Well, the date is getting closer. And I haven't been running. I've thought about it a lot, though. In fact, if thinking about running was just as effective as actually running I'd be ready for the Olympics right now.

There are a lot of things that have conspired to keep me from making it off the couch and into my running shoes. First, I got my work schedule for March and I have to work the day of the race. I'd lie to you and say that I was really bummed when I found out, but I'd prefer to keep my pants from going up in flames. Second, the Fabo hurt her foot and probably isn't up for a half marathon. You can best believe that I won't be running for hours by myself. Running isn't fun as it is; running alone is even less fun. Third, I'm way too cheap to join a 24 hour gym. I went to the school gym for a while, but since the semester started back up it's been overrun by freshman girls who are more interested in wearing tiny shorts and straightening their hair before coming in so they can look good for that omg hott boy from their gen ed history class. There are some actual good athletic girls in there too, but I feel a little schlubby next to them - it's sort of embarrassing when you're huffing after only a mile or two on the elliptical and they've been running for 17 hours already without breaking a sweat.

The biggest reason I haven't been running, though, is the weather. I'm a warm weather girl - when it drops below 65 I start to get cranky. So this whole 24 degrees outside thing isn't really my cup of tea. I'm also a very economical person. Why buy cold-weather running gear when you can just stay inside where you're already paying for heat? You may think I'm lazy, but I feel I'm just conserving body heat in these hard economical times.

Overall, I think I'm getting the best of every end of the deal here - I stay warm, my bank account stays happy, I eat cheetos, and I don't have to fight off freshman for an elliptical machine. When the weather warms up and the threat of bikinis can't be ignored anymore, I'll get my butt into shape. Until then, I'll stay warm - and maybe a little chunky.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Yup... I sprained the ligaments in my foot just for you! Damn, you caught me... haha! :o) The good news is that my foot is feeling a lot better, and I'm hoping to be back on the treadmill next week. The better news (this is for you, not for me) is that I'm in no shape for a half-marathon. I mean, I could probably hack it in 3 weeks of running but I'd probably end up with another injury of sorts.