Saturday, March 28, 2009

Blurbs

I don't have enough to present a fully functional blog post for you, so let me just toss out some blurbs for your enjoyment...

***
While sitting in EKG class the other day, it became apparent that our instructor had way too many cups of coffee to be appropriate.

When perusing an EKG with ST elevations that jumped out and all but punched you in the face, she goes, "Look at those ST elevations! Even Helen Keller could see those!"

The other glorious quote from our instructor? (This one is for you, KL!) "I'm not real good with heart sounds though. They're like a fundus, I wouldn't know it even if I fell over one."

***
I just discovered the joys of iChat this weekend. I've had my mac for about 7 months now, and never tried iChat before. I did yesterday, and it was awesome!

While talking with a friend, she blurts out this little gem: "Remember that time I told you you looked like Gollum? I'm glad you didn't hate me after that!"

***
I watched the Watchmen comic-within-a-comic, Tales of the Black Freighter. It was awesome. Pure awesome. Also included on the DVD was the mockumentary Under The Hood, the fictional book written by Hollis Mason (first Nite Owl) and included as book excerpts throughout the comic. Also pure awesomeness.

***
I am gearing up for the switch to night shift in another week. I'm excited to not have to get up at the asscrack of dawn anymore, but not so excited about the prospect of losing my social life. Ah well, little sacrifices for the greater good I suppose.

***
I'm also trying to face the music. I come off of orientation in one month, and I am terrified. Like, pee in my pants sort of terrified. I've gotten to see a lot of stuff in my two months of RN orientation, but I still feel so inadequate.

I have had the people who are already very very sick (or already dying) and I've had the people who are only moderately ill. I haven't had anyone decompensate on me yet, and I'm not sure that I'll be able to see the small signs or react quick enough. I just don't have the experience yet. At this point in time, I'm reacting to what's happening. I'm not pre-emptive. Which is bad for patients, because things have to happen to them before my butt gets moving, whereas the mark of a good nurse is to be able to see things before the patient goes downhill.

It's a scary feeling, knowing that I'm always behind the 8-ball. Hopefully soon I'll make it past "new nurse" and become a good nurse.

***
I feel more and more reassured though, because I have learned that no one is ever alone in the ER. Someone is always there to help. Unfortunately, so far that someone has been my preceptor. The rest of the staff is in for a surprise when they discover they have to keep my butt from drowning.

***
I am SO EXCITED for HP: Half Blood Prince to come out. A new trailer is up, and I bring it to you for your viewing pleasure.



***
I don't know how to end this blog post gracefully.

***
Fin.

No comments: