Thursday, April 2, 2009

Lessons in humility

Everyone has those little moments in life that make you want to slink away and hope that no one saw you. I had one just recently. I'll share it with you since I can slink away behind the anonymity of this blog.

One of the ortho docs was down to see a patient of mine. He asked me to grab some meds out of the accudose while he got the paperwork together at the staff station. I was leaning up against the counter, laughing with the rest of them, while drawing up the lidocaine. Normally you inject a little air into the vial so when you draw up the med the pressures equalize. Well, my friends, I discovered that when drawing up 1% Lidocaine from a 30 ml single use vial, it is a bad idea to inject air. A bad idea.

Before I could even react, the top to the vial exploded off and lidocaine shot everywhere. On my shirt, on my hands, on my face, on the accudose screen...everywhere. I kid you not, it was even dripping off my eyebrows. Everyone stared for a good three seconds, then burst into hysterical laughter. I was so in shock that I could do nothing except blankly stare at the now empty vial in my hand. Mortifying, I tell you.

Although in all fairness, I probably would have laughed at myself too. But I couldn't feel my face.

6 comments:

Jen said...

That's totally an Elliot from Scrubs moment. I just hope no one called your Barbie. :)

GuitarGirlRN said...

Haw haw haw! That's happened to me, too. That's why I almost never inject air into vials anymore...

Joy said...

Oh my sides hurt!!! Well at least we can laugh for you... maybe you'll be able to laugh about it soon!

Theann said...

:D thanks for the laugh. You're great!

tp said...

haha, i was thinking as i was reading "did her face go completely numb!?" And then you answered my question and i laughed even more...

Monkey's Momma said...

Been there, done that! Live and learn, LOL