Monday, November 8, 2010

Fluff

I am out of shape.

Not fat, just out of shape. I've always been a healthy weight - not too thin, not too fluffy - but all through high school and college I was also fit. I played on high school sports teams; sports that were high intensity were the best. During college, I played intramural sports - ultimate frisbee, floor hockey, soccer (even though I'm godawful at it), and the occasional ridiculous game of capture the flag. There may or may not have been fitness classes thrown in there too, but I will never tell anyone that I took hip hop dance choreography or kickboxing. Too embarrassing to share those, I tell you. I wasn't quite as fit as in high school, but I was healthy.

And then I graduated. And went back to nursing school. And lemme tell you, my motivation for exercise went to zero. When you have 26 hours of school work to do in 24 hours of the day, something has to get cut. For me, it was exercise. I swore to myself that when I got my RN and a job, I would start working out again.

So here I am, almost two years into my nursing career. And I haven't worked out more than a dozen times. Every now and then I'll get on a health kick and run a mile or buy healthier food, but it never lasts more than a few days. I'm just too lazy. Recently though I've noticed that I've put on a few pounds, which I attribute to a lack of exercise, frequent beer consumption at dinner with friends, and the joys of night shift. I'm still not fat, but I've gotten a little soft around the midsection. My muscles aren't as defined as they were. I can't run like I used to. Sometimes my back hurts.

Well, that stops right now.

I was recently out with a friend, and she showed me some yoga poses. I secretly scoffed a bit, because it looked really easy and not even like exercise. She prodded me to take it up myself. So I did. Which brings me to 03:00 on this Monday morning.

I'm sitting on the floor of my living room after having just completed a 47 minute Comcast On-Demand yoga beginner workout. And. I'm. Beat. Who knew it was so hard!? I was seriously shaking at some points. Relaxing breathing? Not a chance. I struggled just to maintain that damn yoga pushup for more than three seconds.

I'm determined though. I will get back into shape. I will tone up. I will eat healthier. I will stretch more often. I will...probably not run anytime soon, seeing as it's hella cold outside now. But I will do this yoga thing, and that I can promise you. 47 minutes a day is nothing in the comfort of my own apartment. I will do this.

Feel free to keep the fluffy one accountable, peeps.

5 comments:

Medical Mojave said...

I try to do short workouts to maintain strength. Cardio is easier to lose and regain than strength.

20 minutes of squats 2x a week with some push ups and sit ups yields a nice fitness baseline.

M

Christina RN LMT said...

You can do it! I'll remind you. :)

undergrad RN said...

Dude! I discovered yoga at the beginning of this term. It looks laughably easy but I've been schooled. I have been in a power flow yoga class once a week for about 8-10 weeks now and the strength gains I've made are amazing. At the start of the term I was struggling through down dog and I couldn't stand on one foot for more than 20 seconds. Then last class I was able to get all the way into a full-on wheel pose. I don't care if I can't lift 30 lbs but I do want my body to be rock solid through the core and yoga definitely does that. Then I feel like a million bux after!

Love or Nothing said...

TELL ME ABOUT IT. i went running a couple weekends ago, then did a Jillian Michaels yoga workout On Demand. she almost killed me.. but it was so worth it :)

Street Philosopher said...

Trying something new is a great way to keep the fitness moving. Way to give it a shot. I'm addicted to the gym, because that works for me, but no matter what it is, if you're not falling prey to a stagnant lifestyle you're definitely going to live happier, and hopefully longer. Keep it movin 'Trooper.