Sunday, October 30, 2011

How nice

The craziest thing happened to me tonight! I had a patient going to the OR, and the surgeon was in the room talking to the patient and whatnot. I'm scrambling to get a few last minute things the doc wants, and get the chart printed to hand off to the OR nurses. As I'm standing at the printer, I hear wheels bumping along and when I look up I see my patient go by on the stretcher...being pushed by the surgeon!

Now, we all know most docs will walk out of a patient room, wander the hallways, find a nurse, and then ask that nurse to go get the patient a blanket instead of handing them one from the blanket warmer directly next to the patient's room. But not tonight! The surgeon packed the last few personal items in the patients bookbag, paperclipped (most of) the chart, and started driving the patient to the OR. By. Himself.

Maybe surgeons elsewhere are more useful at mundane tasks, but I had to scrape my jaw off the floor. And then chase him down to hand over the last of the chart. But seriously, what a nice moment. I hope this is a new trend!

4 comments:

Meara O. said...

WOW. The surgeons I am used to don't do that either. Ask him where he went to med school-maybe he had a professor there that told his students to always help others. Or maybe his mom just taught him REALLY good manners!

~Meara

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Can we find this guy and marry him off to our daughters ?~! I am so happy to hear these kinds of stories; thanks for sharing it.

Dana said...

Whoa!!! Where I work, this certainly NEVER happens!! Umm, ever!! It's like you want to chase that man down and give him a serious reward so this kindness may pass on...but what would you even do!? Great story!

rnraquel said...

Wow! I just found your blog and am loving it. I would hug this surgeon and give him much positive reinforcement. The surgeons where I work don't even want to sign all their paperwork much less push a stretcher. I will be chasing one down to get him to sign the back of the consent and end up at the end of a withering glare. Send this guy to my hospital!