Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Orientation

So I'm done orientation. I now know everything I need to know about this new ER. I'm a BAMF with the computer charting, I know every single staff member by name, they all trust me implicitly, I know the phone numbers for every assignment and department in the hospital, I know the layout of all the floors, and people actually ask me where things are.

Not.

Way, way not.

I go in this weekend, on my own. I can't believe I'm on my own in a strange ER. I couldn't find a bedpan the other day. How am I supposed to function as a competent nurse if I can't even do basic tasks easily? If someone honks (even with a no-honk guarantee), I have to search for a bucket - and then probably clean them up because I wasn't quick enough. I guess it will get more familiar over time, and everyone so far has assured me that I'm doing well but it's still crazy to think that Friday I will show up, take an assignment, and be just another staff nurse there with all the expectations of one.

We'll see how it goes.

No comments: