Sunday, February 14, 2021

February 14

Last I checked, I was a resident of Texas. Warm, sunny, mild-winters Texas. So imagine my surprise when I looked at the weather forecast last week and saw that it was going to be below freezing for DAYS on end! The AUDACITY. Doesn't the weather know we here in central and north texas aren't prepared for that nonsense? 

 Anyway, it's currently snowing outside and it's been below freezing for a long time already and not supposed to even get above freezing again until Friday. FRIDAY! I do love me some snow though. I even bought a pair of real winter boots early last year and then felt real stupid about it since it immediately became spring and I put them in the back of my closet because it was a thousand degrees outside. But then fall and winter coincided with COVID, and all of a sudden our summer socially distanced driveway beers with our friend/family group (a total of 7 people, many of whom work from home and became our outdoors sanity bubble) turned into cold weather wool socks and hat and parka while still sitting outside freezing to death driveway beers. I've never been so happy to own ridiculous winter boots. I'm going to put them on today to go roll around in the snow like a child. I can't wait! 

 We also beat the rush and went grocery shopping last week, and prepped ahead for a fancy valentines dinner that we picked up yesterday. So today? Snow fun, then hot chocolate on the stove like mom always made me as a kid, and then fuzzy sweatpants and a FANCY charcuterie board for dinner. I know it's 17 degrees outside, but damn if this isn't a good day.

***
And look at my plants! Our HVAC system is very uneven so a couple of the upstairs rooms are way too warm to be comfortable. We're hopefully getting someone in to look at it next week. But in the meantime, it's a perfect greenhouse! Check out my vegetable seedlings!



1 comment:

Oldfoolrn said...

Wishing you and your husband a most happy Valentine's Day. OldFoolette RN and myself plan to sit around and eat candy for most of the day. I could not get out to buy her a card so she will have to settle for a homemade one.

We have too much snow in western PA and more is coming tonight. There is an Everest size mountain at the foot of our driveway. I still man a vicious snow shovel but have to take it at a leisurely pace or my Afib kicks in.

I love your seedlings. It's always fun to imagine how they will look in the garden. I start mine next month and usually have to place them on top of the furnace to get enough heat to germinate. We tried Kohlrabi last year for the first time and it was a delight. Easy to grow and delicious when sliced thin and baked.