Thursday, May 13, 2021

May 13

I've had more foot-in-mouth moments over my decade+ of nursing than I can count. Somehow for all my momentary embarrassment I've never been truly shamed by them because damn if they don't make hilarious stories. 

So I was at the charge desk last night when I hear an old pepaw going "nurse? Nurse!? Hello?" I looked over to find two of the new grads just sitting there ignoring him, so I got up and walked in there myself. I called them out on it but that's not what this particular story is about so let's move on. 

"I heard you calling, sir, is there something I can do for you?" I asked. The room was dark, so after he wanted to be repositioned I asked if I could turn the lights on. He responded with "well, you can leave them on for all it matters...I'm blind!"

Oh man. Oh, buddy. At least he laughed about it.

1 comment:

Oldfoolrn said...

There really is something special about blind folks and their sense of humor and approach to life. I read legal theory books to a young bind person in law school and I've never met a more appreciative soul. It was also a great learning experience for me-I could never ever be a lawyer!

I hope you and your garden are doing great.